- RSS Channel Showcase 9315912
- RSS Channel Showcase 1623005
- RSS Channel Showcase 9573352
- RSS Channel Showcase 9950787
Articles on this Page
- 04/23/15--01:26: _5+ years of fine-sc...
- 05/22/15--07:49: _BEC L4 soil moistur...
- 06/18/15--02:18: _SMOS Sea Ice Concen...
- 09/17/15--15:17: _Using Argo to valid...
- 10/30/15--09:46: _Preliminary SMOS SS...
- 11/18/15--00:50: _Effective SMOS PSF ...
- 11/27/15--02:13: _Experimental SMOS M...
- 01/02/16--14:56: _Preliminary validat...
- 01/23/16--11:22: _BEC officially broa...
- 02/23/16--07:40: _New Research: Ocean...
- 03/10/16--05:24: _New Sea Surface Sal...
- 05/19/16--03:15: _A big tour sampling...
- 06/30/16--00:50: _Preliminary SWDI ma...
- 07/26/16--07:05: _New operational SSS...
- 09/22/16--11:49: _Can SMOS observe me...
- 11/04/16--02:29: _SMOS 7th Anniversary
- 01/24/17--05:29: _SMAP SSS provided b...
- 03/10/17--05:06: _Debiased non-Bayesi...
- 05/15/17--02:53: _Advanced SSS produc...
- 07/17/17--04:28: _Celebration of BEC ...
- 04/23/15--01:26: 5+ years of fine-scale soil moisture estimates available!!
- 05/22/15--07:49: BEC L4 soil moisture product is now “all-weather”
- 06/18/15--02:18: SMOS Sea Ice Concentration maps
- 09/17/15--15:17: Using Argo to validate remote sensing missions
- 10/30/15--09:46: Preliminary SMOS SSS in the Mediterranean
- 11/18/15--00:50: Effective SMOS PSF and Antenna Correlations
- 01/02/16--14:56: Preliminary validation of 8-day SMAP L3 Salinity product V1.0
- 01/23/16--11:22: BEC officially broadens its scope
- 02/23/16--07:40: New Research: Ocean Currents at BEC
- 03/10/16--05:24: New Sea Surface Salinity products in High Latitude Ocean Areas
- 05/19/16--03:15: A big tour sampling the North Atlantic ocean
- 06/30/16--00:50: Preliminary SWDI maps using the BEC L4 soil moisture product
- 07/26/16--07:05: New operational SSS products: version 2.00
- 09/22/16--11:49: Can SMOS observe mesoscale eddies in the Algerian basin?
- 11/04/16--02:29: SMOS 7th Anniversary
- 01/24/17--05:29: SMAP SSS provided by REMSS: v1.0 vs v2.0
- 05/15/17--02:53: Advanced SSS products now available with global coverage!
- 07/17/17--04:28: Celebration of BEC 10th Anniversary
At Barcelona Expert Center (BEC) we are able to provide a Level 4 (L4) Surface Soil Moisture (SSM) product with 1 km spatial resolution that meets the requirements of land hydrology applications. To do so, we use a downscaling method that combines highly-accurate, but low-resolution, SMOS radiometric information with high resolution, but low sensitivity, visible-to-infrared […]
Soil moisture at fine-scale (BEC L4 soil moisture product) can now be estimated under all-weather conditions. A delayed 5-year (2010-2015) data set covering the Iberian Peninsula is already available, and maps from 2015 onwards are provided in near real-time. This is BIG news! The L4 product is obtained by combining SMOS brightness temperatures with higher […]
Since more than a year ago, the Barcelona Expert Center (BEC) team researches on the capabilities of SMOS for the characterizations of the Cryosphere. First maps of the Arctic Sea Ice concentration from SMOS data have been produced for the year 2014, with the algorithm explained bellow. Two indices have been chosen to compute […]
With its more than 3500 automatic profilers, the Argo array is one of the most important component of the Global in-situ Ocean Observing System. The array provides measurements of temperature and salinity profiles down to 2000 m. These data are rapidly expanding the historical database of the ocean sub-surface (specially in the case of ocean […]
Experimental SMOS SSS maps of the Mediterranean Sea are being computed at BEC using a new methodological approach to cope with land and RFI contamination. Three different products are being analysed: monthly binned maps at a 1×1 deg grid; optimal interpolated maps at 0.25×0.25 deg; and daily products at 0.25×0.25 deg through fusion with Reynolds […]
Given the interferometric characteristics of SMOS, SMOS snapshots are full-polarization brightness temperatures rendered on a hexagonal grid (the so-called synthetic antenna). In fact, what the instrument actually measures are the cross-correlations of all pairs of receivers, from which a visibility function can be derived. The vector of visibilities is linearly related to brightness temperatures TB […]
The SMOS Mediterranean SSS products announced in a previous post have now been made available at our webpage. A preliminary quality report can be accessed here. Two different products are being released: Objectively Analysed 9-day 0.25⁰x0.25⁰ L3 SSS product and Fused 1-day 0.25⁰x0.25⁰ L4 SSS product. Both products are generated on a daily basis, and […]
Amazon, Niger and Congo discharges over the Atlantic Ocean as measured by SMAP Scientists at Remote Sensing Systems (RSS, http://www.remss.com), using the experience acquired with the Aquarius mission are developing the necessary algorithms to retrieve sea surface salinity from brightness temperature provided by the SMAP radiometer team. Recently, RSS has released version 1.0 (BETA) SMAP Level 3 […]
The SMOS-BEC (SMOS-BARCELONA EXPERT CENTER ON RADIOMETRIC CALIBRATION AND OCEAN SALINITY) was created in July 2007 by agreement between CSIC (Spanish Research Council) and UPC (Technical University of Catalonia) to enhance coordination and visibility of both institutions in their joint work in processing data from the SMOS mission. It was installed in the Centre Mediterrani […]
Ocean currents are a key element for the understanding of many oceanic and climatic phenomena and their knowledge is crucial for navigation and operational applications. Following the official broadening of its scope, BEC has extended its research activity towards the diagnosis of ocean surface currents from satellite observations. This new research line, led by Dr. […]
New experimental SMOS Sea Surface Salinity (SSS) maps at high latitudes, including Arctic Ocean open water regions, have been computed at BEC using a new methodological approach that substantially reduces land-sea and RFI contamination effects, as well as other intrumental biases. SMOS Sea Surface Salinity map on 1st September 2011 The new product consists […]
In march 2013 an international experiment, the Salinity Processes in the Upper ocean Regional Study (SPURS), was carried out with the goal of performing a wide range of mesoscale and submesoscale measurements to understand the mechanisms of formation and permanence of the largest ocean salinity maximum in the centre of the North Atlantic subtropical […]
The Water Resources Research Group of the University of Salamanca has developed a new agricultural drought index, the so-called Soil Water Deficit Index (SWDI) , , based in soil moisture and soil parameters. Using the high resolution BEC L4 soil moisture product  as an input of the SWDI, agricultural drought maps of Zamora province […]
L4 SSS product. To product it, the new OA debiased SSS product is fused with OSTIA SST daily. The animation corresponds to a period from February to July 2015. In a continuous effort to bring the higher quality products to our users, BEC is happy to announce that a new version of BEC SSS […]
The circulation in the Algerian Basin is characterized by the presence of fresh-core eddies that propagate along the coast or at distances between 100-200 km from the coast. Significant improvement in the processing of the Soil Moisture and Ocean Salinity (SMOS) data have allowed to produce, for the first time, satellite Sea Surface Salinity (SSS) […]
On November 2nd, 2016, SMOS mission accomplished a new feat: the mission has now been operating for seven years! Designed for a nominal lifetime of three years plus an extension of two years, SMOS has overcome the expectations and it is now headed for a third extension period. And the instrument is still behaving well, […]
Fig. 1: Outliers distribution (red dots) is homogeneous in both versions. The nearest points to the coast are also excluded from statistics. Since last September, Remote Sensing Systems (REMSS) is producing version 2.0 of the Level 2 and Level 3 Sea Surface Salinity products from SMAP. One year ago, we published in this blog a […]
We are pleased to inform you that our paper “Debiased non-Bayesian retrieval: A novel approach to SMOS Sea Surface Salinity” has recently appeared in Remote Sensing of Environment. In the paper, we present a new method to process SMOS data in order to obtain more precise, less biased values of Sea Surface Salinity (SSS). With […]
Objectively Analysed SSS for the period May 27th to June 4th, 2014 In a continuous effort to improve the quality of our data and provide a better service to our users, we have made a new brand of advanced SSS products available. In contrast with previous datasets, the new products have global coverage and are […]
Past June 19th we celebrated the 10th anniversary of the foundation of the Barcelona Expert Center. We were honored of counting with the presence of the Minister of Agriculture, Livestock, Fishing and Food of Generalitat de Catalunya, Ms. Meritxell Serret, and of the deputy Vicepresident for Scientific-Technical Areas of CSIC, Dr. Victoria Moreno, who highlighted […]