- RSS Channel Showcase 1740507
- RSS Channel Showcase 3012500
- RSS Channel Showcase 5013642
- RSS Channel Showcase 8392296
Articles on this Page
- 01/23/16--11:22: _BEC officially broa...
- 02/23/16--07:40: _New Research: Ocean...
- 03/10/16--05:24: _New Sea Surface Sal...
- 05/19/16--03:15: _A big tour sampling...
- 06/30/16--00:50: _Preliminary SWDI ma...
- 07/26/16--07:05: _New operational SSS...
- 09/22/16--11:49: _Can SMOS observe me...
- 11/04/16--02:29: _SMOS 7th Anniversary
- 01/24/17--05:29: _SMAP SSS provided b...
- 03/10/17--05:06: _Debiased non-Bayesi...
- 05/15/17--02:53: _Advanced SSS produc...
- 07/17/17--04:28: _Celebration of BEC ...
- 10/03/17--00:49: _BEC joins public co...
- 10/23/17--03:35: _New methodology to ...
- 02/12/18--04:11: _Remote sensing of o...
- 04/06/18--02:41: _Six years of the ne...
- 07/20/18--05:21: _New SMOS Sea Ice Co...
- 10/22/18--03:13: _New release of glob...
- 11/16/18--14:36: _Important changes i...
- 11/21/18--03:52: _SSS Arctic product ...
- 01/23/16--11:22: BEC officially broadens its scope
- 02/23/16--07:40: New Research: Ocean Currents at BEC
- 03/10/16--05:24: New Sea Surface Salinity products in High Latitude Ocean Areas
- 05/19/16--03:15: A big tour sampling the North Atlantic ocean
- 06/30/16--00:50: Preliminary SWDI maps using the BEC L4 soil moisture product
- 07/26/16--07:05: New operational SSS products: version 2.00
- 09/22/16--11:49: Can SMOS observe mesoscale eddies in the Algerian basin?
- 11/04/16--02:29: SMOS 7th Anniversary
- 01/24/17--05:29: SMAP SSS provided by REMSS: v1.0 vs v2.0
- 05/15/17--02:53: Advanced SSS products now available with global coverage!
- 07/17/17--04:28: Celebration of BEC 10th Anniversary
- 07/20/18--05:21: New SMOS Sea Ice Concentration products
- 10/22/18--03:13: New release of global SMOS soil moisture products at BEC
- 11/16/18--14:36: Important changes in the distribution of BEC products
- 11/21/18--03:52: SSS Arctic product version 2 is available
The SMOS-BEC (SMOS-BARCELONA EXPERT CENTER ON RADIOMETRIC CALIBRATION AND OCEAN SALINITY) was created in July 2007 by agreement between CSIC (Spanish Research Council) and UPC (Technical University of Catalonia) to enhance coordination and visibility of both institutions in their joint work in processing data from the SMOS mission. It was installed in the Centre Mediterrani […]
Ocean currents are a key element for the understanding of many oceanic and climatic phenomena and their knowledge is crucial for navigation and operational applications. Following the official broadening of its scope, BEC has extended its research activity towards the diagnosis of ocean surface currents from satellite observations. This new research line, led by Dr. […]
New experimental SMOS Sea Surface Salinity (SSS) maps at high latitudes, including Arctic Ocean open water regions, have been computed at BEC using a new methodological approach that substantially reduces land-sea and RFI contamination effects, as well as other intrumental biases. SMOS Sea Surface Salinity map on 1st September 2011 The new product consists […]
In march 2013 an international experiment, the Salinity Processes in the Upper ocean Regional Study (SPURS), was carried out with the goal of performing a wide range of mesoscale and submesoscale measurements to understand the mechanisms of formation and permanence of the largest ocean salinity maximum in the centre of the North Atlantic subtropical […]
The Water Resources Research Group of the University of Salamanca has developed a new agricultural drought index, the so-called Soil Water Deficit Index (SWDI) , , based in soil moisture and soil parameters. Using the high resolution BEC L4 soil moisture product  as an input of the SWDI, agricultural drought maps of Zamora province […]
L4 SSS product. To product it, the new OA debiased SSS product is fused with OSTIA SST daily. The animation corresponds to a period from February to July 2015. In a continuous effort to bring the higher quality products to our users, BEC is happy to announce that a new version of BEC SSS […]
The circulation in the Algerian Basin is characterized by the presence of fresh-core eddies that propagate along the coast or at distances between 100-200 km from the coast. Significant improvement in the processing of the Soil Moisture and Ocean Salinity (SMOS) data have allowed to produce, for the first time, satellite Sea Surface Salinity (SSS) […]
On November 2nd, 2016, SMOS mission accomplished a new feat: the mission has now been operating for seven years! Designed for a nominal lifetime of three years plus an extension of two years, SMOS has overcome the expectations and it is now headed for a third extension period. And the instrument is still behaving well, […]
Fig. 1: Outliers distribution (red dots) is homogeneous in both versions. The nearest points to the coast are also excluded from statistics. Since last September, Remote Sensing Systems (REMSS) is producing version 2.0 of the Level 2 and Level 3 Sea Surface Salinity products from SMAP. One year ago, we published in this blog a […]
We are pleased to inform you that our paper “Debiased non-Bayesian retrieval: A novel approach to SMOS Sea Surface Salinity” has recently appeared in Remote Sensing of Environment. In the paper, we present a new method to process SMOS data in order to obtain more precise, less biased values of Sea Surface Salinity (SSS). With […]
Objectively Analysed SSS for the period May 27th to June 4th, 2014 In a continuous effort to improve the quality of our data and provide a better service to our users, we have made a new brand of advanced SSS products available. In contrast with previous datasets, the new products have global coverage and are […]
Past June 19th we celebrated the 10th anniversary of the foundation of the Barcelona Expert Center. We were honored of counting with the presence of the Minister of Agriculture, Livestock, Fishing and Food of Generalitat de Catalunya, Ms. Meritxell Serret, and of the deputy Vicepresident for Scientific-Technical Areas of CSIC, Dr. Victoria Moreno, who highlighted […]
Demonstrations against the violence all over Catalonia, October 3rd, 2017 On October 1st, 2017, many Catalans waited in front of the voting stations to participate in a referendum to decide the future of Catalonia. The Spanish Constitutional Court had suspended the referendum, but nevertheless the regional government decided to go ahead with the poll. The […]
Monitoring sea ice concentration is required for operational and climate studies in the Arctic Sea. Technologies used so far for estimating sea ice concentration have some limitations, for instance the impact of the atmosphere, the physical temperature of ice, and the presence of snow and melting. In the last years, L-band radiometry has been successfully […]
Ocean currents play a key role in Earth’s climate – they impact almost any process taking place in the ocean and are of major importance for navigation and human activities at sea. Nevertheless, their observation and forecasting are still difficult. First, no observing system is able to provide direct measurements of global ocean currents on […]
A new methodology using a combination of debiased non-Bayesian retrieval, DINEOF (Data Interpolating Empirical Orthogonal Functions) and multifractal fusion has been used to obtain 6 years of SMOS Sea Surface Salinity (SSS) fields over the North Atlantic Ocean and the Mediterranean Sea. This product has been developed by the Barcelona Expert Center and the GHER […]
In a continuous effort to improve the quality of our data and provide a better service to our users, we present the new SMOS Sea Ice Concentration (SIC) product for the Arctic Ocean . The new product is based on the algorithm presented in the paper Gabarro et al., 2017 . The algorithm uses the […]
We are pleased to announce the new near real-time global SMOS L3 soil moisture products v003. These products have different averaging periods (and frequency rates): 1-day (daily) maps in both ISEA 4H9 and EASE-2 25 km, and 3-day (daily), 9-day (every 3 days), 1-month (monthly) and 1-year (yearly) maps in EASE-2 25 km. All of […]
Three years ago, the BEC team introduced a new method for the retrieval of SSS from SMOS data: the debiased non-Bayesian approach. The method was first used to derive the first maps of SMOS SSS in the Mediterranean. After three years, we have extensively validated the method, first in the Mediterranean, then in the Arctic […]
Seven years (2011–2017) of 25 km nine-day Soil Moisture and Ocean Salinity (SMOS) Sea Surface Salinity (SSS) objectively analyzed maps in the Arctic and sub-Arctic oceans (50∘ N–90∘ N) are now available in our website. Discharge of Mackenzie river captured by BEC Arctic SSS product The new SMOS SSS maps are an improved version of […]